Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Julie and Julia

This weekend, we went to see the Julie Julia movie.  Which I was super excited about because I loved the book (the Julie Julia Project).  And I'll watch Meryl Streep act in almost anything.

The movie was lovely.  It portrayed two couples in supportive relationships (and yes, I know that Julie Powell has had problems with her marriage since - and picked up the pieces).  And it is so rare to see good marriages portrayed in Hollywood.

And, I don't know how accurate the depiction of Julia Child was, but, I walked out of the theatre thinking that I'd found a kindred spirit.  I know what it's like to lay down on a bed and have your feet hang off.  I know what it's like to tower over your partner.  And to be gleeful about small things. And loud.  And a little clumsy. And to build counters that are higher than normal in your kitchen.

But here was my take home message.  In my memory, Julia Child was one of the most influential cooks in the United States.  In fact, she's probably the first cook I could name.  
She didn't find her passion until she was almost 40.  She was almost 50 before her first book was published - and the book wasn't even her idea (although it became very much hers).  She wasn't on TV for another two years.  Julia Child was in her 50s when her career really started going.  Julia. Child. 

And she may not have done it if it weren't for the solid, strong support of a loving partner.

So often all we hear about are people in their teens and twenties who run in and do amazing things.  Which is great.  But we still get messages that life is over at some point.  That just isn't true.  Grandma Moses started painting in her 70s.  She painted for 30 years.  One of her paintings is in the White House.

I'm thrilled.  What's going to happen in the next 50 years? What amazing things will I learn? 

Wheeeee!

**btw- both Meryl Streep and Amy Adams were brilliant in this movie.  And how lovely to get to eat that stuff while you're at work!!

No comments: